I can only imagine Mike Green next season though this season is not over yet. I remember last season there was one moment vs. Montreal when he disposed Alex Kovalev, it was done with such a technique that all you could say was "Wow!" Mike is progressing so much each year that it seems like the sky is a limit for him. And he is only 23! Imagine that.
By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer, Apr. 2, 2009:
"I don't know who picks the Norris Trophy, but I think he's one of the best defensemen in the League. He can create, defend and is controlled back there. He's not afraid to make some mistakes now and again and that's confidence. It's good for our organization that we have him for long time and I think he will be better and better all the time."
~ Alex Ovechkin
1. 48 -- Paul Coffey, Edmonton, 1985-86
2. 46 -- Bobby Orr, Boston, 1974-75
3. 40 -- Paul Coffey, Edmonton, 1983-84
4. 39 -- Doug Wilson, Chicago, 1981-82
5. 37 -- Bobby Orr, Boston, 1970-71
5. 37 -- Bobby Orr, Boston, 1971-72
5. 37 -- Paul Coffey, Edmonton, 1984-85
6. 34 -- Kevin Hatcher, Washington, 1992-93
7. 33 -- Bobby Orr, Boston, 1969-70
8. 32 -- Bobby Orr, Boston, 1973-74
9. 31 -- Ray Bourque, Boston, 1983-84
9. 31 -- Phil Housley, Buffalo, 1983-84
9. 31 -- Denis Potvin, N.Y. Islanders, 1975-76
9. 31 -- Denis Potvin, N.Y. Islanders, 1978-79
10. 30 -- Paul Coffey, Pittsburgh, 1988-89
10. 30 -- Denis Potvin, N.Y. Islanders, 1977-78
10. 30 -- Mike Green, Washington, 2008-09
"I never thought he had the offensive capabilities. I knew he could skate and that he competed his rear-end off, but I never knew he had that offensive ability. He has grown so much as a player with his puck-handling and confidence and sometimes it tends to bite him because he's so casual thinking he can deke out everybody, but when he's on, he's fun to watch. Over a full 82-game schedule, he definitely has the potential to reach 40 goals, I would think"
~ Bruce Boudreau.
Despite missing 13 games during parts of November and December with a shoulder injury, Green continues to lead all NHL defenders in goals (30), power-play goals (18) and points (70), is fourth in assists (40), and sixth with a career-high plus-24 rating.
Need to buy something on Amazon? Order via this blog / support it.